Wednesday 26 December 2012

Unfortunately! You Only Live Once

So after a long hiatus... I'm back here again. Please blame it on my day job and the one-million events I have to be at this season #ExaggeratingOfCourse :D

Today's post is inspired by a picture I saw on Google+ ... A GOLD VENDING MACHINE!!!
This gold vending machine was located at the Abu Dhabi’s Emirates Palace hotel. This ATM machine dispenses 10-gram 24K bars of solid gold instead of cash. You can buy a 2.5, 5 or 10 gram gold bar for $193, $343 and $638 respectively.

Now this very picture reminds me of so many things! And yes, Money is involved.

By God's grace, I come from a family of 5 and I can say we are 'OK' financially. The kind of live I have lived so far has afforded me the rare privilege of being able to mix in any crowd ... high, low or middle class crowd, I will blend in well enough.

But really, I have come across people who are LOADED financially and when I hear of the way people spend money... I just find it impossible to understand how such people think.

For instance, A LOT of people buy tables at the big entertainment concerts and these tables go for nothing less than 500k (if it's a big event). When I hear of these things, I'm like ... where does this person work? How on Earth would one pay 1million naira for one table (sitting 10) at an event that would last for an average of 5 hours.

Often times, I remind myself that that is a narrow-minded way of thinking! Yes I agree. However, I ask myself how many mouths these 'rich' people have fed? How many homeless kids have they sponsored to school? With the level of deprivation, poverty and obvious lack we experience in this nation... someone can spend 1 million naira on a table when that same amount can save the lives of many individuals dying in general hospitals across the country...

Please note that I am not saying people shouldn't spend their (hopefully) hard-earned money ooo! And I am not saying the rich should wear rags just because of the poor ... but if you are 'that' rich.... would you spend money in a similar way?

I really would appreciate your thoughts on this...

PS: Season's greetings :)

No comments:

Post a Comment